Monday, August 9, 2010

BIG workshop

When I was an Americorps VISTA (Volunteer in Service to America) with Learn and Serve Oklahoma, the school I was posted at became an A Plus school. I was able to attend their first week long summer institute and I became fascinated with the process. In a nutshell, Oklahoma A Plus is a research-based whole school network with a mission of nurturing creativity in every learner by training teachers and school support staff in incorporating the A+ essentials into their curriculum - the essentials help teachers formulate quality curriculum by incorporating art, multiple intelligences, collaborative opportunities and experiential learning(read more here). Anyhoo, I've been in training for the last year and in a couple of weeks I get the opportunity to lead a workshop. The teacher I worked with for two years as a VISTA is co-facilitating with me. A Plus has been interested in incorporating Service Learning into their fold...so Kathy and I are hosting HELPING HANDS: WHEN SERVICE BECOMES LEARNING THE A PLUS WAY at the A Plus Statewide Conference. She and I got together over the weekend to work out workshop details and we created this Helping Hands collage, which will be the main project in the upcoming workshop.

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

No comments:

This page is to keep my support network of family and friends, as well as the Creative Journal community, updated with my progress in the Creative Journal Expressive Arts